I love a cheesy potato. And I really love an easy oven baked side dish that doesn't require much work. So check and check, let’s cook.
4 Ingredient Success
My au gratin potatoes have four ingredients: russet potatoes, shredded cheese, heavy cream, and mustard powder. Plus salt and pepper, but those are free ingredients since we all have that on hand all the time.
These are easy, whole ingredients. I don’t do low-fat or halfway. In a pinch one time, I used half and half because I was out of heavy cream. The milk curdled and separated completely. It was edible, but definitely not the vision. I won’t let that happen again.
For the cheese, I like the shredded cheese blend from Costco. The value can't be beat and its perfect melty goodness. Keep it simple.
Prepping the Potatoes
We need to wash, peel, and slice the potatoes to an ⅛" thickness on a mandolin. Mandolins come with a few blade options. Just use the straight blade for this. If you don't have a mandolin, you can thinly slice by hand. It will just take a little longer.
Layer and Assemble Au Gratin Potatoes
- Start by placing a piece of parchment in your 9x9 baking dish. This saves time on clean up, but not required.
- Add a little cream to the bottom dish so the potato slices have a happy place to sit.
- Layer sliced potatoes, a thing layer of shredded cheese, and cream for a total of three layers each.
- Place the baking dish on a sheet pan just in case it bubbles over. Its easier to clean up a baking sheet than the oven.
Four Ingredient Au Gratin Potato Recipe
Au gratin potatoes
- baking dish
- vegetable peeler
- parchment paper
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and peel potatoes
- Mix mustard powder, salt and pepper with heavy cream. Pour a thin layer into your baking dish to coat.
- Slice on a mandolin to a ⅛” thickness. Layer two layers of potatoes, a thin layer of shredded cheese, and cream. Repeat until the dish is complete.
- Add extra cheese to the top.
- Bake at 350 uncovered for 40-50 minutes.
- Let stand for several minutes to cool before serving.
What to serve with au gratin potatoes
Basically these potatoes go with everything. Tonight we ate them with a sirloin roast. They are great with ham or roast chicken- which would make this an all oven meal.
Can I use other potatoes like red or yukon gold? --No. Russet potatoes have the right texture for a layered dish. I wouldn't use other potatoes.
What other kinds of cheese are recommended? -- Shredded cheese blends are especially good because they usually come with a mix of sharp flavor and easy melting cheese. Smoked gouda is yummy. Gruyere adds an elevated flavor. Monterey Jack is mild and good melting cheese.