What's an Enchirito?
Beef and bean enchiritos are a mash up of a big burrito in a soft tortilla smothered in enchilada sauce and melted cheese. I bet I have your captivated attention, don't I? 🙂
I love smothered burritos. Texas has them at every Mexican restaurant. It's a stick to your ribs, loaded with flavor, food coma waiting to happen.
The game changer with this meal is the soft tortilla. In my former days, I lived on flour tortillas. Now that I'm a gluten free girl, I like to use Siete brand gluten free tortillas. Then we're just filling up that tortilla with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, cheese, and enchilada sauce.
This Hatch Tex-Mex sauce really delivers just a hint of spice and deep chili flavor. It is hands down my favorite canned enchilada. I can find it in my Texas grocery store, HEB, and Target stores. Bottom line, find one you really enjoy.
Beef and Bean Enchirito
- large skillet
- baking dish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 10" flour or gluten free soft tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 15 ounce can of refried beans
- 1 15 ounce can of enchilada sauce
- 1 avocado
- sour cream optional
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Cook until all of the moisture has cooked out and the meat carmelizes. Add 1 cup of water and 1 packet of taco seasoning. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. The water will reduce completely, leaving you with a moist and tender meat mixture.
- While the meat is cooking, heat up the refried beans in the microwave for 1 minute. They dont need to heat completely, but just enough to soften so they are easy to spread. Do the same with the tortillas. They are more pliable when warmed up.
- Open the can of enchilada sauce and get out the shredded cheese.
Assemble the Enchiritos
- Lay a warmed tortilla on a plate or cutting board.
- Spread a layer of refried beans out for the base. Next, spoon on the cooked beef. Pour 1 tablespoon of enchilada sauce onto the meat. Top with cheese. Roll the enchirito by tucking in the ends and rolling up completely. Assemble all 4 enchiritos.
- In a baking dish, pour a layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish. Lay each enchirito in the baking dish. Pour on a generous layer of sauce to coat each enchirito and top with cheese.
- Bake the enchiritos uncovered for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely and the sauce is bubbling.
Watch the video by clicking the link above. This is a simple recipe and cooking process, but a video always helps if you want to follow along.
Family Friendly Dinner
This is a family friendly meal. It serves 4 adults or a family of 2 adults and up to 4 kids. It doesn't have any weird flavors or mixed in veggies that someone will pick out. Just easy ingredients and an uncomplicated cooking process.
If the gluten free tortillas break, that's okay. Everything will still come together and taste delicious.
Making the ground beef needs a solid 20 minutes to cook and make tender. You can also watch my cooking process for tender taco meat.
Questions or Comments?
If you have questions or comments, please let me know. I love to hear from readers and know if anything in my recipe needs to be adjusted or if its a total success.
Thanks for reading 🙂