So, what is it about a wedge salad that makes it so delicious? It’s incredibly simple. It only has a few ingredients. So why is it so tasty? It must be the combination of salty bacon, creamy blue cheese dressing, and crisp iceberg lettuce.
Now, I used to find restaurant salad to be so much better than salad at home and I think the key is the dressing. That motivated me to make just about all of my own salad dressing for two reasons: they taste better home-made vs bottled and it takes us forever to finish a bottle of salad dressing. I bet if you go check your fridge right now, you have a bottle of expired salad dressing. Go ahead, I’ll wait…
Welcome back. For us, this was especially true of creamy dressings such as caesar or blue cheese. I would have a craving for a salad with blue cheese and then the bottle would sit on a shelf in the door, taking up space until I wanted another one a month later, only to find it expired before I got to it. That sucks.
Lastly, I like making my own blue cheese dressing because I can make it in exactly the number of servings I need. This recipe is easy to adjust if you’re making salad for 2 or 12. If you’re having friends over for dinner, its fun to set up a little salad bar with build-your-own wedges.
Now, on to the recipe…
Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ tsp worcestershire sauce secret to success
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or small food processor and blend.
- Refrigerate for 2+ hours before eating.
- For salad assembly, prepare iceberg wedges, crispy bacon, tomatoes, an herb such as chives (my vote) or parsley, and a few extra blue cheese crumbles on top because itâ€™s yummier that way. Avocado is also a nice touch if you have one.